Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Seventh Grader Wins Essay Contest

The City of Bloomington Human Rights Commission recently sponsored a local essay contest on the theme “What I’ve Learned from People Different from Me.” Seventh grader Mari Walter-Bailey, daughter of Institute employee Wendy Walter-Bailey, won the contest. Congratulations Mari! Below is her essay in its entirety.

What I’ve Learned from People Different Than Me
By: Mari Walter-Bailey
            The U.S.A.  is often known for its diversity. Some people accept it, some people enjoy it, and some people deny it no matter how obvious it is. Personally, it teaches me that I have to accept, and respect others’ beliefs, dress, and ways of being.
            Everyone is different. I am my own, unique individual, and nobody in the whole world has done the exact same things that I have. No one knows my whole life, and I don’t know anyone else’s life. I do know though that some people are trapped in one small town for their whole life, and some people move around so much they don’t have their own bedroom. Others don’t have anything or any place to call their own. I have learned in my 12 years of life that I live a charmed life compared to some people, but to others I may appear to have nothing. Everyone should be thankful since there is always someone who has less.
            I’ve discovered that people are extremely judgmental. In this day and age, you’re judged based on your appearance, skin tone, height, weight, wealth, housing, quality of clothes, hair, religion, disabilities and more. Lots of people my age are very, very rude to people with mental, physical, and/or emotional disabilities.   I can tell, when I look in those kids’ eyes. I see pain. Even if they don’t know what people are saying, they tell me how lucky I am. I have a friend in a wheelchair. I am utterly astonished by the poor way people treat her, as if she is a very inconvenient table in the hallway. People act as if she can’t hear, as if her small problem defines her. I have an Indian friend too. I think teachers are often very ignorant themselves, like they don’t hear the racist Indian jokes.  In fact, most people that are hurting people are usually teacher’s favorites: popular people who think they rule the world.
               I also hear people call some people “Jelly Belly”. What they don’t know is that he/she may have a serious disease, causing her/him to be overweight. Most judge completely on dress. Not many can afford pricy brand names, though. I know for a fact that no matter who you are, or where you live, you ALWAYS want more than what you have. There is always one person you look at with envy. If you have short hair, you want long hair. If you have blue/green eyes, you want brown eyes and vice versa.
               The one thing I always think is, “Why should I dress like someone else?” I should create my own style. People can inspire me, but they can’t change me. I’ve realized that I would hate it if everyone had the exact same shirt. If everyone was a painting, being different is the one thing everyone would truly appreciate.  I learned that life is different, based on your perspective, and everyone should respect that.   

Reprinted with permission from the author

No comments: