Monday, March 1, 2010

FCC Announces New Closed Captioning Complaint Procedure

Having trouble viewing closed captioning on certain shows? Does it become garbled or move too quickly across the screen? The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has recently announced that there are new procedures in place that will make filing complaints easier. You can now file a complaint directly with the FCC, either by fax, e-mail, postal mail, or online. Just be sure to file the complaint within 60 days of the captioning problem.

You can file your complaint by using the FCC's online Disability Access Complaint Form #2000C at!input.action?form_page=2000C

Disability Access Complaint Form 2000C on the FCC's website erroneously states that if your complaint is about closed captioning, you must first contact the station or video programming distributor. The FCC will actually accept this web form without your first trying to contact the video programming distributor.

For more information about filing complaints regarding closed captioning, see this link: or call the FCC for assistance, Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. (eastern time), at 1-888-225-5322 or 1-888-835-5322 TTY.

No comments: